DLP's research examines the political processes that drive or constrain development. It focuses especially on the role of developmental leaderships and coalitions in promoting or resisting institutional and policy reform to support sustainable growth, political stability and inclusive social development.
The research is organised around these overarching questions:
- How, when and why do developmental leaderships and coalitions emerge?
- What factors promote and frustrate this?
- How do they 'work politically' to achieve developmental outcomes in different institutional settings?
- What factors influence their relative developmental success or failure?
- What are the policy, program and operational issues for donors in supporting developmental leaders and coalitions?